Through the dairy plant’s partnership with UW–Madison’s renowned UW Department of Food Science and the Center for Dairy Research—one of the premier dairy research centers in the world—food-industry clients are able to create, conduct, and implement research to pioneer methods of production.
The dairy plant is available for industry to use on a fee-for-service basis. All of our production equipment is licensed by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture to produce products for sale on campus. Some examples of our products are frozen desserts, cheeses, and bottled milk.
The Babcock Dairy Plant is located in the heart of the dairy state with easy airport access. Products can be shipped to any location in the United States. Other benefits include: small batch sizes, easy scheduling into our production runs, and scaled-up using standard processing equipment.
Examples of industry type projects include:
- Testing ingredients in frozen dessert
- Producing product samples for dairy shows
- Market research
- Sensory analysis
Dairy Plant equipment:
Cost structure includes:
- Plant fee $1,500 per 8-hour day ($1,800 for frozen desserts) plus ingredient and material costs.
- Increments of half-days also available
- The service fee includes the following quality control testing:
- Butterfat analysis
- Total solids
- Plus a variety of other tests at your request
The following is a list of ingredients that we normally have on hand:
- Non-fat dry milk
- Corn syrup
- Milk protein concentrate
- Variety of flavors
- Inclusions and variegates
- Plastic bottles (half pints, pints, quarts, half gallons, 2.5 gallon bags)
- Frozen dessert containers
- 3 gallon tubs
- 56 ounce scrounds
- 5 ounce cups
Examples of past projects:
- Drinkable yogurt, sour cream, and other cultured products
- Soft serve mixes
- Fat free and sugar free frozen desserts
- Variety of different ice cream flavors
- Dog food novelties
- Frozen desserts produced under a wide variety of freezing variables
Contracts and confidentiality agreements could be set up through our business department
Contact Bill Klein (email@example.com) for further information and to discuss your future project. We’d be happy to hear from you.